Citation management on Wikipedia
A question came up in the last few days on the ALT list about citation management in Wikipedia, and converting existing references in Word (using Endnote) to export to Wikipedia. I had a quick look, and except for conversion from Endnote to Zotero, I couldn’t see an easy thing to suggest – open to correction! Some useful resources for others looking at similar issues though:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:WordToWiki Has some tools and suggestions for conversion from word to wikitext (alternatives exist for open office too) which helps with some of the conversion process (but not references)
2. Zotero seems to have a Wikitext output format (so you can use that directly) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources_with_Zotero#Adding_references_into_Wikipedia_articles but I can’t see one for Endnote. I don’t know if it’s possible to import Zotero styles to Endnote, I think not though. It is possible to convert your database from endnote to Zotero (which I recommend) but for something like this that’s a lot of a faff!
3. Depending on how you format your citations, it might be possible to run some sort of find and replace (probably after conversion to wikitext) to add simple tags around relevant text (for anything more complex than that I don’t think it’ll work).
4. For working directly with Wikipedia (or mediawiki generally) I highly recommend using the ‘ProveIt’ gadget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ProveIt_GT#What_is_ProveIt.3F which helps support citation management for individual articles. WikiCite (I think) does something similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikicite#Usage
5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Citation_tools#Tools may have some other suggestions although from a quick glance I couldn’t see anything
6. For anyone interested in citation on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources
Did I miss anything? Add a <ref> below!
This Post Has 0 Comments